Skip to main content

Having my cake and eating it, too: how good teaching makes pupils feel good.


This Friday, I went into the staff room before briefing and found a plaque with this infamous quotation in my pigeonhole.



Along with the quotation by Haim Ginott about how a teacher’s “daily mood…makes the weather.” this has to be one of the most commonly used quotations about education. It is also a quotation I’ve always been a little uncomfortable with. After spending a good part of the morning stewing over who wanted to poke the bear on a Friday, I decided to correct it.



If someone were to ask me how I want pupils to feel in my lessons, I would say that obviously they should feel safe, successful and confident. I think that all of these are components of long term happiness. However, I would stop short at saying that I aim for my pupils to be happy. As I discussed in my previous blogs “Where Fun Comes From” and “Satisfaction and success: infinitely better than fun”, I believe that happiness is not generic and therefore it is impossible to make pupils feel genuinely happy by making happiness the ultimate goal. Rather, long term happiness and positivity about a subject are derived from satisfaction and success. Therefore, prioritising feelings over learning is largely fruitless.

This quotation could also be taken from the commonly held perspective that motivation is actually the reverse of success resulting in positivity: many people, including many pupils themselves, argue that pupils who feel positive about a subject in the first place will then be successful. As a result, making pupils feel positive is the most important part of teaching, as it will then result in discretionary effort.

Discretionary effort is a factor in a success. However, this perspective fails to recognise that pupils and novices are often poor judges of efficacy when it comes to learning techniques, their own comprehension of a subject and they often fail to recognise that the most effective learning techniques are often not the most ‘fun’: Making a poster about a single topic that pupils already know will make them feel positive about that topic and the subject in general, but it will probably won’t result in significant success or retention. This in turn, may result in long-term disappointment. We should be aiming for long term happiness. The majority of pupils will be remember fondly those teachers who helped them achieve good results and who prepared them for the next level of education, not those with whom they just had fun.

My main issue with this quotation is that it seems to argue that teaching subjects effectively and having happy pupils are mutually exclusive and, when prioritising the two, emotion comes first. To me, this is essentially excusing poor quality teaching in favour of emotion. There are hundreds of factors which affect pupils’ success, and there is evidence to suggest that teachers have a much smaller impact than they are led to believe. However, to argue that the most important part of being a teacher is making a pupil feel good, rather than equipping them with the knowledge and discrete skills which will allow them to be successful, is irresponsible.

Of course I want to be remembered positively and of course I want pupils to feel happy in my lessons but does this have to be at the expense of long term learning? Are effective teaching and happy pupils mutually exclusive? I’d argue they are actually dependent, with learning at the forefront.

Done well, we can have our cake and eat it, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Organisers: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The term "knowledge organiser" has been used a lot over the last few years. They are a tool of which I am a passionate advocate. However, opinions of them appear to be divided; While I have met many teachers who share my passion, others have been nonplussed or told me to 'just use a revision guide'. To me, knowledge organisers are the ultimate tool of inclusion. They will never replace the benefit of being taught by an expert. However, they create a situation in which every child, regardless of special need, attendance or socio-economic status, can have access to the core knowledge they need to succeed. However, this only happens if knowledge organisers are written well; I believe, in order to realise their benefits, knowledge organisers must be focused, sequential and accessible . Accessible: Many pupils will arrive at secondary school lacking in cultural capital, with a limited vocabulary or with little experience of subjects such as history or geog

Knowledge Organisers and Quizzing: Minimising the Matthew Effect

I believe that knowledge organisers can be the ultimate tool of inclusion. However, used poorly they can amplify the Matthew Effect, supporting most able while simultaneously disadvantaging those who need the most support. Put simply, they can cause the knowledge rich to get richer and the knowledge poor to get poorer. Over the four years which my department has used knowledge organisers, we have developed a number of techniques to minimise this effect and ensure that knowledge organisers benefit as many pupils as possible. Quiz questions: In order to encourage pupils to engage with the knowledge organisers, all of our homework is based around either answering quiz questions or practising quizzes which they have already completed. Originally, pupils wrote their own questions and answers. They were required to write a minimum of 7 questions and answers which the teacher would collect feedback on while they were completing their starters. Pupils would then have a set amount

The Battle of the Knowledge Organisers with metacognition.org.uk

The world of Knowledge Organisers is often a dichotomous one. Are you team ‘narrative’, or team ‘grid’? In this blog, Becky Sayers and Nathan Burns explore the purpose of both types, as well as their respective advantages, disadvantages and applicability across subjects. So place your bets, as the fight is about to start…!   Becky Sayers writes about the definition, purpose, advantages and disadvantages of the ‘narrative’   Knowledge Organiser. The ‘Narrative’ Knowledge Organiser Why do we use Knowledge Organisers? As a faculty, we have been using Knowledge Organisers for around seven or eight years. If I’m honest, the original reason I used them is because I was told to do so by a faculty leader in whom I had immense trust. I did not understand their overall purpose and, as a result, the pages I produced were fairly poor quality. However, over the years we have thought carefully as a team about their purpose and, as a result, the Knowledge Organisers we have produced as a te