Skip to main content

English and history: discrete but inseparable bedfellows

In true history teacher form, I often think about the factors which contribute to changes in my practice. Over the last few weeks, this factor has been luck, bad luck specifically; the car of a good friend of mine broke down a few weeks ago and, while she’s been waiting for it to be repaired, I’ve been driving her to work every morning. While this is unexceptionally unlucky for her (both having to deal with her car and deal with me at 6:50 every morning), it has been good luck for me; this particular friend is a very conscientious English teacher with a particular interest in meeting the needs of SEN students. As a result, the drive to work every morning has provided me with an excellent opportunity to pick her brain about her subject and how it links with history.

I have always firmly believed that, in order for pupils to be successful in history, they need to be taught how to read for meaning, how to construct an argument and how to write that argument in a sophisticated and logical way. In short, pupils who are successful in English are often successful in history. What I didn’t realise was quite how much the relationship works the other way: in order for pupils to be successful in English, particularly when studying Literature, they often need to have a good understanding of history. In his blog, Embedding Complex Fiction, Doug Lemov explains how reading the Little House on the Prairie series (a sanitised but accurate account of 19th century settlers in the American West) with his daughter allowed her to access much more difficult texts. Similarly, I can vividly remember how easily my childhood obsession with the Titanic allowed me to understand dramatic irony in An Inspector Calls during my English GCSE.

As a result, I’ve recently been attempting to explicitly incorporate English techniques into my history lessons and I’ve been considering how to effectively utilise history in the English classroom:

How I use English techniques in History:
  1. Whenever I complete a reading task with pupils, I always try to follow the methods used by the English department to ensure accessibility and comprehension. I include a key words list at the top of each piece which we go through before we start reading; I insist that all pupils follow along as we read, often insisting that I can see all pupils ‘tracking’ the text with a ruler or their finger; I read the first paragraph aloud and then ‘pounce’ on other pupils to continue and I ask comprehension questions as we move through the text.
  2. I attempt to use the same vocabulary as the English department when appropriate, but I also try to separate discrete concepts with different terms. I have recently learned that I should not ask for a “quote” from a text, but a “quotation”. I have also learned to explicitly explain the purpose of the “explain” element of the paragraph structures I use, as this initially resulted in many pupils writing a distinctly English explanation of any quotations they used for as evidence.
  3. Where possible, I try to talk with English teachers so I can make links between what pupils have studied in English and historical concepts. When discussing the Russian revolution with year 9 this term, their knowledge of Animal Farm, which they had read in English in year 8, allowed me to easily explain the concept and downfalls of communism.
Possible techniques to use History effectively in English:
  1. As suggested by Doug Lemov, where possible, use non-fiction texts in tandem with fiction. This is particularly important when analysing novels with dramatic content: the thought of using the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas as a historical source makes me shudder; it was published in 2006 and contains a number of historical inaccuracies. However, in the past it has been used by AQA as part of an English GCSE and it is an excellent piece of fiction. Alerting pupils to this fact reduces the likelihood of them carrying misconceptions in history lessons and will help to improve their contextual knowledge.
  2. Discuss topics with the history department. If pupils have already covered a unit, being able to use that knowledge will not only cut down the time you need to use covering context, but will also help to underline the connections between different subjects.
  3. Be extra clear about the purpose of historical creative writing. In his blog Never Live Like Common People, Ben Newmark clearly outlines the issues with writing empathy pieces in history; it is exceptionally difficult to understand how people in the past felt about different experiences and, when pupils lack contextual knowledge, they will often fill the gaps by guessing, using their own experiences and values as a guide. Obviously creative writing is a key component of English and serves a vastly different purpose to empathy pieces in history. However, when writing these pieces, pupils need to be well-informed and need to be reminded about the fictional nature of their writing.
English and history are separate subjects and have vastly different aims at their core. However, when well connected, they can have a huge mutual benefit to each other. In order to achieve this, teachers need an understanding of the pedagogy, content and principles which underpin the strong teaching of both subjects. I feel as though I’m probably writing a blog about how to suck eggs, but I think that the best possible way to achieve this for both departments is to regularly communicate and share subject specific methods and good practice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Organisers: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The term "knowledge organiser" has been used a lot over the last few years. They are a tool of which I am a passionate advocate. However, opinions of them appear to be divided; While I have met many teachers who share my passion, others have been nonplussed or told me to 'just use a revision guide'. To me, knowledge organisers are the ultimate tool of inclusion. They will never replace the benefit of being taught by an expert. However, they create a situation in which every child, regardless of special need, attendance or socio-economic status, can have access to the core knowledge they need to succeed. However, this only happens if knowledge organisers are written well; I believe, in order to realise their benefits, knowledge organisers must be focused, sequential and accessible . Accessible: Many pupils will arrive at secondary school lacking in cultural capital, with a limited vocabulary or with little experience of subjects such as history or geog

Knowledge Organisers and Quizzing: Minimising the Matthew Effect

I believe that knowledge organisers can be the ultimate tool of inclusion. However, used poorly they can amplify the Matthew Effect, supporting most able while simultaneously disadvantaging those who need the most support. Put simply, they can cause the knowledge rich to get richer and the knowledge poor to get poorer. Over the four years which my department has used knowledge organisers, we have developed a number of techniques to minimise this effect and ensure that knowledge organisers benefit as many pupils as possible. Quiz questions: In order to encourage pupils to engage with the knowledge organisers, all of our homework is based around either answering quiz questions or practising quizzes which they have already completed. Originally, pupils wrote their own questions and answers. They were required to write a minimum of 7 questions and answers which the teacher would collect feedback on while they were completing their starters. Pupils would then have a set amount

The Battle of the Knowledge Organisers with metacognition.org.uk

The world of Knowledge Organisers is often a dichotomous one. Are you team ‘narrative’, or team ‘grid’? In this blog, Becky Sayers and Nathan Burns explore the purpose of both types, as well as their respective advantages, disadvantages and applicability across subjects. So place your bets, as the fight is about to start…!   Becky Sayers writes about the definition, purpose, advantages and disadvantages of the ‘narrative’   Knowledge Organiser. The ‘Narrative’ Knowledge Organiser Why do we use Knowledge Organisers? As a faculty, we have been using Knowledge Organisers for around seven or eight years. If I’m honest, the original reason I used them is because I was told to do so by a faculty leader in whom I had immense trust. I did not understand their overall purpose and, as a result, the pages I produced were fairly poor quality. However, over the years we have thought carefully as a team about their purpose and, as a result, the Knowledge Organisers we have produced as a te