Skip to main content

Strong behaviour systems: being cruel to be kind

It was a Thursday lunchtime (week B) and once again I sat in the office, staring at my lunch and feeling more than a little bit sick. The clock ticked closer to 1:35 and I tried to steel myself for 75 minutes of what I could only describe as mental acrobatics with year 8 French. I had planned a series of challenges with an answer key. That way the lovely ladies at the back could crack on while I tried to cajole John into sitting down, Joanna into being quiet and I could try to make sure Jill stayed outside while I waited for SLT to pick her up. Jack might even write the date if he was in a good mood and I asked nicely enough. Hopefully I’d be able to keep them quiet enough to do the register. I took a deep breath, put on my ‘teacher face’ and quietly said “It’s only 75 minutes a fortnight”, before stepping out into the corridor.

Four years later and the picture is slightly different. Today I sat at my desk, eating my lunch and looking at the desks which had been filled with my year 11 history class a week earlier. Rather than feeling immense relief at my new found freedom, I felt bereft.

I have a reputation for being strict. My tagline is that “The default in my classroom is silence. If you’re not sure whether you should be talking, don’t.” Yet, in the entire two years of teaching this class their GCSE, I don’t think I isolated a single one of them. I don’t think I needed to. Most of these pupils were the same ones who triggered my fortnightly nausea, so what’s changed?

1.       My teaching style?
Since my NQT year four years ago, I have transitioned from a teacher who was all about engagement, relevance and skills, to a teacher who is firm advocate of knowledge based lessons which are centred around deliberate practice and teacher led instruction. Surely this can’t be it? If these pupils didn’t sit down and get on with a Simpsons themed cartoon strip, why would they now regularly sit down for a 16 mark factors question with a knowledge organiser?! (Followed, of course, by a healthy dose of annotation and self-assessment.)

2.       Age?
I’ve followed these pupils through their time at secondary school; when they were in year 7 I was completing my PGCE. They have changed just as much as I have: The shy young lady who once sat at the back and looked much like a rabbit in the headlights when I asked her a question has transformed into a confident and mature head girl. The pupil who I once described as “…a bit tricky” beamed from ear to ear this year when I asked her how many days in a row she had practiced her history quizzes. However, again I’m sceptical as to whether age is the magic factor. After all, I’ve watched biddable year 7s transform into grunting balls of defiance over the course of a summer in other schools.

3.       A strong behaviour system
At the end of this cohort’s year in year 8, my school introduced a strict behaviour policy which allowed teachers to isolate pupils for 24 hours, once they had been given a warning, for any low level disruption. Any instances of defiance resulted in instant isolation. Before it was introduced, the head teacher and executive head stood in front of all of the teachers and clearly stated that they didn’t care how many pupils we isolated; if that’s what we needed to do to ensure a disruption free classroom, they would support us. The change was instantaneous. On the day the system was introduced, year 8 French sat in silence. No one got up, no one shouted out and no one talked back. However, this is not to say that the transformation was complete; pupils still completely avoided any challenging work and getting answers during discussions still felt like getting blood from a (silent) stone.

Ultimately, I believe that a strong behaviour system, coupled with time, is what has allowed me to truly develop effective lessons and a warm relationship with pupils. While it initially ensured quiet classrooms through deterrence, eventually this system created the habit of calm, quiet and focused lessons. The development of this habit was what was required to turn me from an adversary into a leader, allowing for much more ambitious and challenging lessons which were based on knowledge and practice rather than bribery and fun.

Before she left, one of those year 8s gave me a mug to thank me for the last five years. I was deeply touched to know that she saw me as the teacher I want to be (even though I don’t think I’m quite there yet.) Ultimately, I believe that the firm but fair behaviour system of my school is what has allowed me (to attempt) to embody those adjectives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Organisers: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The term "knowledge organiser" has been used a lot over the last few years. They are a tool of which I am a passionate advocate. However, opinions of them appear to be divided; While I have met many teachers who share my passion, others have been nonplussed or told me to 'just use a revision guide'. To me, knowledge organisers are the ultimate tool of inclusion. They will never replace the benefit of being taught by an expert. However, they create a situation in which every child, regardless of special need, attendance or socio-economic status, can have access to the core knowledge they need to succeed. However, this only happens if knowledge organisers are written well; I believe, in order to realise their benefits, knowledge organisers must be focused, sequential and accessible . Accessible: Many pupils will arrive at secondary school lacking in cultural capital, with a limited vocabulary or with little experience of subjects such as history or geog

Knowledge Organisers and Quizzing: Minimising the Matthew Effect

I believe that knowledge organisers can be the ultimate tool of inclusion. However, used poorly they can amplify the Matthew Effect, supporting most able while simultaneously disadvantaging those who need the most support. Put simply, they can cause the knowledge rich to get richer and the knowledge poor to get poorer. Over the four years which my department has used knowledge organisers, we have developed a number of techniques to minimise this effect and ensure that knowledge organisers benefit as many pupils as possible. Quiz questions: In order to encourage pupils to engage with the knowledge organisers, all of our homework is based around either answering quiz questions or practising quizzes which they have already completed. Originally, pupils wrote their own questions and answers. They were required to write a minimum of 7 questions and answers which the teacher would collect feedback on while they were completing their starters. Pupils would then have a set amount

The Battle of the Knowledge Organisers with metacognition.org.uk

The world of Knowledge Organisers is often a dichotomous one. Are you team ‘narrative’, or team ‘grid’? In this blog, Becky Sayers and Nathan Burns explore the purpose of both types, as well as their respective advantages, disadvantages and applicability across subjects. So place your bets, as the fight is about to start…!   Becky Sayers writes about the definition, purpose, advantages and disadvantages of the ‘narrative’   Knowledge Organiser. The ‘Narrative’ Knowledge Organiser Why do we use Knowledge Organisers? As a faculty, we have been using Knowledge Organisers for around seven or eight years. If I’m honest, the original reason I used them is because I was told to do so by a faculty leader in whom I had immense trust. I did not understand their overall purpose and, as a result, the pages I produced were fairly poor quality. However, over the years we have thought carefully as a team about their purpose and, as a result, the Knowledge Organisers we have produced as a te