Skip to main content

“I’m a boring teacher and I’m proud of it.”

I’m lucky enough that over the past three years I have worked in a school and a department which encourage teachers to regularly read books and blogs to improve their pedagogy and to develop their teaching philosophy. During this period, a number of books and blogs, such as Daniel Willingham’s excellent “Why Don’t Students Like School?”, James Theobald’s “The 5 worst education arguments by graphics” and, more recently, Ben Newmark’s blog about the use of empathy in history (“Never Live Like Common People”), have caused me to think carefully about the purpose of education and how I implement this in my classroom.

Whenever I’m planning lessons, I always like to go back through my archives to see if there’s anything I can use to save time. Unfortunately, even when looking at lessons from as early as two years ago, this has recently resulted in me loudly proclaiming “…I actually taught this rubbish?!” while I look through presentations. After some thought, I realised that my apparent change in standards is a result in a change in my philosophy. My lessons used to consist of lengthy independent projects, “challenge lessons”, in which pupils did a selection of activities and checked their answers according to an answer key, videos to ‘hook’ pupils in at the beginning of lessons, and ‘fun’ written tasks which were designed to appeal to popular culture. All of these activities were based on three core beliefs:
  1. Pupils should not get their knowledge from the teacher.
  2. Pupils are not capable of understanding anything which is not relevant to them.
  3. Pupils do not intrinsically value education: they must be “bribed” into being engaged and learning content.

I found that this focus on ‘engagement’ also pervaded the language of my pupils. Pupils asked “Can I sit next to X? They really help me to focus”. I’ve also seen a recent example of this in a picture going around twitter which spoke about how teachers should use more group work to motivate pupils.

Over the last two years I have changed my philosophy and I have changed how I teach: I now believe that the primary purpose of education is to educate, not to entertain. Pupils should not be patronised and, where appropriate, they should be treated like adults. This means encouraging pupils to enjoy the subject for its inherent worth, rather than the engaging package it has been put in. As a result, I now base my activities on four core beliefs:
  1.  I am the expert in the classroom. Pupils will benefit from my guidance and will hopefully ‘catch’ the passion I have for anything I teach.
  2. All lessons need to be challenging; any unfamiliar content or subject knowledge can be explained.
  3. All lessons should be planned “backwards” to ensure that challenging activities are modeled and that the required skills and knowledge are broken down into different stages. This way, pupils will feel the satisfaction of being able to complete a difficult task.

Obviously, I was not able to implement these beliefs over night or on my own; I have only been able to change my practice with the support of my school as a whole. Specifically, my school has a robust and clear behaviour system which, at its core, emphasises that the primary purpose of being in a classroom is to learn.

I like to think that the vast majority of pupils still enjoy my lessons: they don’t come skipping in singing about the joys of geography on a day to day basis, but their work shows care and a desire to improve. Ultimately, a lot of the lessons I taught early in my career stemmed from the idea that the ultimate aim of education is to make pupils happy. This often resulted in trying to achieve that goal via the path of least resistance. I'll be the first to say that an enthusiastic and happy pupil is easier to teach. However, this happiness should derive from the satisfaction that comes with a challenging curriculum, not from making happiness or engagement the ultimate goal.

Comments

  1. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I have changed my attitude to learning, along the lines of your own. Despite having to fight the opinions of others who still subscribe to the "entertainment" philosophy, I feel that my teaching has improved massively and I am more secure in my knowledge that I am doing a good job. It is so reassuring to know that I am not the only one. I cringe to think some of the things I tried in order to fulfill all the expectations of management and students, not necessarily in what I did but my attitude to the students, the hours spent on pointless experiments in teaching and tracking, rather than focusing my time and energy on actually teaching. I know that it all came from good intentions, but I feel like a fool for trying to follow the latest trend in teaching, although I was new and impressionable. Viva la old and jaded! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I completely agree. My initial approach came from a good place but I feel that simple and 'firm but fair' approach is much more beneficial in the long run.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knowledge Organisers: The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The term "knowledge organiser" has been used a lot over the last few years. They are a tool of which I am a passionate advocate. However, opinions of them appear to be divided; While I have met many teachers who share my passion, others have been nonplussed or told me to 'just use a revision guide'. To me, knowledge organisers are the ultimate tool of inclusion. They will never replace the benefit of being taught by an expert. However, they create a situation in which every child, regardless of special need, attendance or socio-economic status, can have access to the core knowledge they need to succeed. However, this only happens if knowledge organisers are written well; I believe, in order to realise their benefits, knowledge organisers must be focused, sequential and accessible . Accessible: Many pupils will arrive at secondary school lacking in cultural capital, with a limited vocabulary or with little experience of subjects such as history or geog

Knowledge Organisers and Quizzing: Minimising the Matthew Effect

I believe that knowledge organisers can be the ultimate tool of inclusion. However, used poorly they can amplify the Matthew Effect, supporting most able while simultaneously disadvantaging those who need the most support. Put simply, they can cause the knowledge rich to get richer and the knowledge poor to get poorer. Over the four years which my department has used knowledge organisers, we have developed a number of techniques to minimise this effect and ensure that knowledge organisers benefit as many pupils as possible. Quiz questions: In order to encourage pupils to engage with the knowledge organisers, all of our homework is based around either answering quiz questions or practising quizzes which they have already completed. Originally, pupils wrote their own questions and answers. They were required to write a minimum of 7 questions and answers which the teacher would collect feedback on while they were completing their starters. Pupils would then have a set amount

The Battle of the Knowledge Organisers with metacognition.org.uk

The world of Knowledge Organisers is often a dichotomous one. Are you team ‘narrative’, or team ‘grid’? In this blog, Becky Sayers and Nathan Burns explore the purpose of both types, as well as their respective advantages, disadvantages and applicability across subjects. So place your bets, as the fight is about to start…!   Becky Sayers writes about the definition, purpose, advantages and disadvantages of the ‘narrative’   Knowledge Organiser. The ‘Narrative’ Knowledge Organiser Why do we use Knowledge Organisers? As a faculty, we have been using Knowledge Organisers for around seven or eight years. If I’m honest, the original reason I used them is because I was told to do so by a faculty leader in whom I had immense trust. I did not understand their overall purpose and, as a result, the pages I produced were fairly poor quality. However, over the years we have thought carefully as a team about their purpose and, as a result, the Knowledge Organisers we have produced as a te